Quick Tips: Making Healthy Snacks
A big part of healthy eating is eating more whole grains, fruits, vegetables, and low-fat milk products. Healthy snacks are a great way to make sure that you get plenty of these nutritious foods every day. Use these ideas to get started.
Make smart snack choices
- Find healthier substitutes for high-fat snacks. If your favorite high-fat snack is potato chips and dip, try baked tortilla chips with bean dip or hummus instead.
- Make snacks interesting. If the idea of a plain piece of fruit doesn't appeal to you, try dipping fruit slices in low-fat yogurt sprinkled with cinnamon or nutmeg.
- Be prepared. Have snacks ready for when you get hungry. For example, keep healthy snacks with you at work or school, in your car, and at home. If you have a healthy snack easily available, it's less likely that you'll pick a candy bar or bag of chips instead.
Foods that make quick, healthy snacks
- String cheese
- Low-fat microwave popcorn
- Canned fruit or applesauce in single-serving containers
- Raisins and other dried fruit
- Whole wheat crackers
- Flavored rice cakes
- Unsalted nuts
- Baby carrots
- Cherry tomatoes
- Combine honey and peanut butter or almond butter for a protein-rich dip for raw apples, carrots, celery, and pretzel sticks. This spread also tastes great on bagels, rice cakes, and whole-grain crackers.
- Mix fresh or frozen berries with low-fat yogurt. Top with sliced almonds or granola to make a fruit parfait.
- Top whole-grain crackers with low-fat cottage cheese or ricotta cheese and sliced tomatoes or red pepper strips.
- Make your own healthy trail mix with high fiber cereal, dried fruit (such as cranberries, blueberries, and dates), and nuts such as almonds. This mix also makes a great topping for yogurt.
- Spread low-fat cream cheese on a whole-grain bagel. Sprinkle sunflower seeds and raisins on top of the cream cheese for extra flavor.
- Dip colorful sliced vegetables in low-fat salad dressing or hummus. Try red, yellow, and orange bell peppers; broccoli; cauliflower; and cherry tomatoes.