Dr. Hughes is a nurse practitioner in Cardiovascular Medicine with clinical interests that include coronary artery disease, cardiovascular risk factor modification, hypertension and lipid management, structural heart disease and aortic aneurysm. She has practiced in the area of cardiovascular nursing/medicine for over 40 years and is a frequently invited presenter at both local and national nursing and/or medical conferences and symposiums. Since 2000, she has given over 450 presentations on a variety of cardiovascular topics. Additionally, as a clinical adjunct faculty, she teaches at the graduate level presenting lectures on 12-Lead Electrocardiography and general cardiology topics. Dr. Hughes has also lectured on the topics of cardiovascular pharmacology and cardiovascular assessment and physical examination for graduate nurse practitioner students. She has been an ACLS faculty member since the late 1970s and continues to teach in courses at the University of Michigan Health System.
DNP (University of Michigan - Flint 2016), MSN (Wayne State University 1992), BSN (Madonna University 1984), Diploma in Nursing (Henry Ford Hospital School of Nursing 1976).
Fellow, American Heart Association, 2001 Fellow, American College of Cardiology, 2017 Notable Awards/Honors: Distinguished Service Award, Michigan Chapter of the American College of Cardiology (2018), Outstanding Service Award, Michigan Chapter of the American College of Cardiology (2012), Making the Difference Award, American College of Cardiology (2012), Coeur dOr (Heart of Gold) Award, American Heart Association, Washtenaw County (2006), Excellence in Clinical Practice Award, American Heart Association, Council on Cardiovascular Nursing (2001).
1. Housholder-Hughes, S.D., Martin, M.M., McFarland, M.R., Creech, C.J. & Shea, M.J. (2017). Healthcare provider compliance with the 2013 ACC/AHA adult cholesterol guideline recommendation for high-intensity dose statins for patients with coronary artery disease. Heart & Lung,46(4), 328-333.
2. Chaddha, A., Eagle, K.A., Braverman, A.C., Kline-Rogers, E., Hirsch, A.T., Brook, R., Jackson, E.A., Woznicki, E.M., Housholder-Hughes, S., Pitler, L., & Franklin, B.A. (2015). Exercise and physical activity for the post-aortic dissection patient: The clinicians conundrum. Clinical Cardiology, 38(11), 647-651.
3. Chaddha, A., Kline-Rogers, E., Woznicki, E.M., Brook, R., Housholder-Hughes, S., Braverman, A.C., Pitler, L., Hirsch, A.T., & Eagle, K.A. (2014). Activity recommendations for postaortic dissection patients. Circulation, 130, e140-e142.
4. Housholder-Hughes, S., Ranella, M., Dele-Michael, A., Bumpus, S., Krishnan, S.M. & Rubenfire, M. (2014). Evaluation of a post-discharge coronary artery disease management program. The Journal of the American Association of Nurse Practitioners, 27(7), 371-378.
5. Housholder-Hughes, S. (2011). The role of the nurse in treating patients with integrilin (sptifibatide) injection. Cath Lab Digest, 19(8), 12-13.
6. Housholder-Hughes, S. (2011). Non-ST segment evaluation acute coronary syndrome: Impact of nursing care on optimal outcomes. AACN Advanced Critical Care, 22(2), 113-124.
7. Bhatt, D., Handberg, E., Housholder-Hughes, S., & Palatnik, A. (2009). Nursing challenges in the management of acute coronary syndromes: A clinical curriculum on antiplatelet therapies. Clinical Advisor, February, CE Activity, Haymarket Medical Education.
8. Chevoya, L., & Housholder-Hughes, S. (2006). Anticoagulants and anti-platelet medications. Critical Care Nurse, 26(3), 19-20.
9. Housholder-Hughes, S.D. (2004). Skin necrosis. American Journal of Nursing, 104(10),16.
10. Housholder-Hughes, S., & Bennett, J. (2003). The nurses role in managing HIT. AACN Continuing Education Activitry, New Jersey: Health Learning Systems.
11. Housholder-Hughes, S. (2002). Advanced cardiac life support for the new millennium. Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing, 16(3), 9-23.
12. Borzak, S., Hoseph, C., Havstad, S., Tilley, B., Housholder, S., & Gheorghiade, M. (1999). Lower thrombolytic use of African Americans with myocardial infarction: An influence of clinical presentation? American Heart Journal, 137, 338-345.
13. Amin, N.B., Borzak, S., Housholder, S., & Tisdale, J.E. (1998). Sinus bradycardia and multiple episodes of sinus arrest following administration of ibutilide, Heart, 79, 628-629.
14. Rubenfire, M., Blevins, R., Barnhart, M., Housholder, S., Selik, N., & Mammen, E. (1986). Platelet hyperaggregability in patients with chest pain and angiographically normal coronary arteries. American Journal of Cardiology, 57(8), 657-660.
15. Kerin, N., Blevins, R., Rubenfire, M., Faitel, K. & Housholder, S. (1983). Acute thrombophlebitis following intravenous amiodarone administration. Chest, 84(120).