Updated February 5, 2021
The Michigan Medicine Cardiac Arrhythmia Service wants to make you aware of new information released about several types of devices that contain magnets and radio elements that release electromagnetic fields. When placed in close contact to your body, they may interfere with your implantable cardioverter defibrillator (ICD) or pacemaker.
- The Apple iPhone 12 models contain a circular set of magnets as well as radio elements.
- The MagSafe and MagSafe Duo Wireless Chargers for Apple iPhone 12 models have radio elements.
- CPAP masks with magnetic clips used to secure the headgear.
Questions and Answers About Device Interference
If the electromagnetic fields created by these devices are too close to your implanted heart device, this may cause your heart device to deliver a therapy that is not needed or withhold a therapy that is needed.
We recommend you take the following precautions:
Apple iPhone 12 Series Phones (iPhone 12, iPhone 12 mini, iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone 12 Pro Max):
- Keep at least a 6-inch distance between cellphone and your implanted heart device
- Hold cell phone to ear on the opposite side of the body from your heart device.
- Do not carry cell phone in pocket or on belt if within 6 inches of your heart device.
To learn more important safety information from Apple Inc. visit their website at https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211900
MagSafe and MagSafe Duo Wireless Chargers for Apple iPhone: Keep at least a 12-inch distance between cellphone and your implanted heart device.
CPAP masks with magnetic clips: Do not use these masks.
If you feel dizzy, lightheaded, a change in heart rate, or receive a shock while using one of these item, simply release whatever you are touching or move away from it. Your heart device is designed to return to normal operation. If your symptoms continue or do not improve, contact your provider as soon as possible.