You may have heard that a wide waistline can put you at risk for cardiovascular disease. In fact, it’s one of the conditions that can lead to metabolic syndrome. The good news is you can significantly decrease your risk through lifestyle changes. The Metabolic Fitness Program's multidisciplinary team of cardiovascular experts is focused on helping you reverse your metabolic syndrome through support, education, and comprehensive care.
About the University of Michigan Metabolic Fitness Program
Our program combines exercise, nutrition, stress management and strategies for behavior change in a supportive group atmosphere to facilitate positive lifestyle changes, which in turn reduces risk. The 24-week program includes one day a week at the Metabolic Fitness Program for lectures, group discussions and exercise, and then an exercise program for you to do on your own. A 12-week option is also available. All of our patients in the Program are granted full access to our cutting-edge Preventive Cardiology Fitness Center, which is supervised by our exercise physiologists.
- Physician referral required
- 24-week program, with 12-week option also available
- Tuesdays, 5:30-7:00 pm OR 7:00-8:30 pm
- Each session includes 45 minutes of education and discussion and 45 minutes of clinically-supervised exercise
Within 3-6 months, a significant number of our patients no longer have metabolic syndrome. But in order to keep yourself free of metabolic syndrome, you have to continue with the lifestyle changes. Our program is 24 weeks because the longer you continue with a program, the better the chances of turning good choices into good habits. In fact, 27 percent of our participants no longer have metabolic syndrome after six months in the program. However, if you do slip back into old habits, you can come back to the program to get back on track. We also offer a 12-week program option, and you may decide to continue for a second 12 weeks at the end of the first 12 weeks. See our 2016 Results: Metabolic Fitness Program PDF for more information about program outcomes.
For more information about the Metabolic Fitness Program, including details about cost and insurance, call 734-998-5679 or visit our FAQs: Metabolic Fitness Program page. For more details about how to get started with the U-M Metabolic Fitness Program, see "Get Started with the U-M Metabolic Fitness Program" below.
Get Started with the U-M Metabolic Fitness Program
- Provider submits Metabolic Fitness Program referral.
- Intake Nurse assessment, stress test, dietitian consult, and 11-week follow up appointments are scheduled: 734-998-5679. Nurse assessment and stress test appointments are mandatory; dietitian consult is a separate and not a mandatory appointment.
- Patient completes 12-hour fasting blood draw. Nurse assessment cannot take place until labs are in the medical record. Lab Locations and Hours.
- A 1:1 exercise consult with a clinical exercise physiologist is scheduled after the stress test clears patient for the program, but before patient starts the program. An abnormal stress test requires follow-up with referring physician and/or cardiologist; entrance to program will be delayed until cleared by physician. Stress test data creates a personalized exercise prescription.
- First session is second Tuesday of each month and is mandatory. If this is missed, patient entry will be delayed to following month.
- Dietitian Consult is in 1-3 weeks after first session.
These forms are completed in the intake; patient may opt to complete and bring with them:
Cardiovascular Medicine at Domino's Farms
Lobby A, Suite 1300
4029 Ave Maria Drive (for GPS and map programs)
Ann Arbor, MI 48106