All Classes Are Held Virtually by Zoom
You may have heard that a wide waistline can put you at risk for cardiovascular disease. In fact, it’s one of the conditions that can lead to metabolic syndrome. The good news is you can significantly decrease your risk through lifestyle changes. The Metabolic Fitness Program's team-based approach is focused on helping you reverse your metabolic syndrome through support, education, and comprehensive care.
About the University of Michigan Metabolic Fitness Program
Our program combines exercise, nutrition, stress management and strategies for behavior change in a supportive group atmosphere to facilitate positive lifestyle changes, which in turn reduces risk. The 24-week program includes one day a week at the Metabolic Fitness Program for lectures, group discussions and exercise, and then an exercise program for you to do on your own. A 12-week option is also available.
Our program is virtual, allowing you to participate in education classes and exercise classes in the comfort of your own home. We use Zoom for our Tuesday night sessions.
- Physician referral required
- 24-week program, with 12-week option also available
- Tuesdays, 5:30 p.m. or 6:15 p.m. start time
- Each session includes 45 minutes of education and discussion and 45 minutes of exercise led by a Clinical Exercise Physiologist.
Within 3-6 months, a significant number of our patients no longer have metabolic syndrome. But in order to keep yourself free of metabolic syndrome, you have to continue with the lifestyle changes. Our program is 24 weeks because the longer you continue with a program, the better the chances of turning good choices into good habits. In fact, 27 percent of our participants no longer have metabolic syndrome after six months in the program. However, if you do slip back into old habits, you can come back to the program to get back on track. We also offer a 12-week program option, and you may decide to continue for a second 12 weeks at the end of the first 12 weeks. See our 2016 Results: Metabolic Fitness Program PDF for more information about program outcomes.
“I can do this,” says Barb Bruemmer of the Michigan Medicine MetFit program. The 65-year-old retiree went from avoiding exercise and healthy meals to fully embracing them. As a result, Bruemmer lowered her blood pressure and sugar levels, lost weight and overcame a long-term knee injury that had kept her inactive for years. Learn more about Barb's journey to better health by watching the video below or reading her story, "Wellness Program Take Patient from Fearful to Physical Fitness Fanatic," on the Michigan Health Blog.
Dale Brewer was concerned about weight gain, loss of body strength, high blood pressure and unhealthy cholesterol numbers. But the biggest motivator to improve his health was keeping up with his granddaughters. The Michigan Medicine MetFit Program proved to be the right solution for the 68-year-old, who lost 40 pounds, improved his cholesterol and lowered the dosage of his blood pressure medication in just six months. Learn more about Dale's journey to better health by watching the video below or reading his story, "Healthier and Stronger: Metabolic Fitness Program Patient Makes Big Change," on the Michigan Health Blog.
Mark Rakowski geared up to hike the Grand Canyon the fall after beginning the Michigan Medicine MetFit program, something he would have never dreamed of before taking steps to improve his health. He’s off his diabetes medication and enjoying his healthier state, saying: “I discovered that the program not only extended my life, but I get more living out of the time I have.” Learn more about Mark's journey to better health by watching the video below or reading his story, "Metabolic Fitness Program Inspires Complete Lifestyle Change," on the Michigan Health Blog.
For more information about the Metabolic Fitness Program, including details about cost and insurance, call 734-998-5679 or visit our FAQs: Metabolic Fitness Program page. For more details about how to get started with the U-M Metabolic Fitness Program, see "Get Started with the U-M Metabolic Fitness Program" below.
Get Started with the U-M Metabolic Fitness Program
- Provider submits Metabolic Fitness Program referral. Download the Consult Request Form.
- Intake Nurse assessment, stress test, dietitian consult, behavioral health consult, and 11-week follow-up appointments are scheduled: 734-998-5679. Nurse assessment and stress test appointments are mandatory; dietitian consult and behavorial health consult is a separate and strongly recommended appointment.
- Patient completes 12-hour fasting blood draw. Nurse assessment cannot take place until labs are in the medical record. Lab Locations and Hours.
- A 1:1 exercise consult with a clinical exercise physiologist is scheduled after the stress test clears patient for the program, but before patient starts the program. An abnormal stress test requires follow-up with referring physician and/or cardiologist; entrance to program will be delayed until cleared by physician. Stress test data creates a personalized exercise prescription.
Cardiovascular Medicine at Domino's Farms
Lobby A, Suite 1300
4029 Ave Maria Drive (for GPS and map programs)
Ann Arbor, MI 48106