You may have heard that a wide waistline can put you at risk for cardiovascular disease. In fact, it’s one of the conditions that can lead to metabolic syndrome. The good news is you can significantly decrease your risk through lifestyle changes. The Metabolic Fitness Program's multidisciplinary team of cardiovascular experts is focused on helping you reverse your metabolic syndrome through support, education, and comprehensive care.
About the University of Michigan Metabolic Fitness Program
Our program combines exercise, nutrition, stress management and strategies for behavior change in a supportive group atmosphere to facilitate positive lifestyle changes, which in turn reduces risk. The 24-week program includes one day a week at the Metabolic Fitness Program for lectures, group discussions and exercise, and then an exercise program for you to do on your own. A 12-week option is also available. All of our patients in the Program are granted full access to our cutting-edge Preventive Cardiology Fitness Center, which is supervised by our exercise physiologists.
- Physician referral required
- 24-week program, with 12-week option also available
- Tuesdays, 5:30-7:00 pm OR 7:00-8:30 pm
- Each session includes 45 minutes of education and discussion and 45 minutes of clinically-supervised exercise
Within 3-6 months, a significant number of our patients no longer have metabolic syndrome. But in order to keep yourself free of metabolic syndrome, you have to continue with the lifestyle changes. Our program is 24 weeks because the longer you continue with a program, the better the chances of turning good choices into good habits. In fact, 27 percent of our participants no longer have metabolic syndrome after six months in the program. However, if you do slip back into old habits, you can come back to the program to get back on track. We also offer a 12-week program option, and you may decide to continue for a second 12 weeks at the end of the first 12 weeks. See our 2016 Results: Metabolic Fitness Program PDF for more information about program outcomes.
For more information about the Metabolic Fitness Program, including details about cost and insurance, call 734-998-5679 or visit our FAQs: Metabolic Fitness Program page. For more details about how to get started with the U-M Metabolic Fitness Program, see "Get Started with the U-M Metabolic Fitness Program" below.
Get Started with the U-M Metabolic Fitness Program
- Provider submits Metabolic Fitness Program referral.
- Nurse phone assessment, stress test, group exercise orientation, and dietitian consult appointments are scheduled: 734-998-5679. Nurse phone assessment, stress test, and exercise orientation appointments are mandatory; dietitian consult is a separate and not a mandatory appointment.
- Patient completes 12-hour fasting blood draw. Nurse phone assessment cannot take place until labs are in the medical record. Find out about Lab Locations and Hours.
- Group exercise orientation is first Tuesday of the month and is mandatory. If patient is not able to make this appointment other arrangements can be made.
- First session is second Tuesday of each month and is mandatory. If this is missed, patient entry will be delayed to following month.
These forms are completed in the exercise orientation; patient may opt to complete and bring with them:
Cardiovascular Medicine at Domino's Farms
Lobby A, Suite 1300
4029 Ave Maria Drive (for GPS and map programs)
Ann Arbor, MI 48106